October is Breast Cancer Awareness month so make yourself aware of the potential symptoms and causes!
While many women diagnosed with breast cancer didn’t have symptoms, always be on the lookout for:
- Any change in the size or the shape of the breast.
- Pain in any area of the breast.
- Nipple discharge other than breast milk (including blood).
- A new lump in the breast or underarm.
There are no known causes of breast cancer and most women diagnosed with breast cancer had no known risks factors or a family history of cancer; however, take steps to lower your risk of breast cancer by:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Limiting alcoholic intake
- Checking your family history
If you are a woman 50 to 74 years old, be sure to have a screening mammogram every two years. If you are 40 to 49 years old, ask your doctor about when to start mammograms.