Thanksgiving is the time of year when we remember to be thankful, but an attitude of gratitude should be upheld throughout the year.
It’s easy to focus on what we DON’T have, but there are so many things that we DO have and should be thankful for every day.
What can you be thankful for today?
- You woke up this morning!
- Health: you probably have more working parts than non-working ones
- Friends: quality is more important than quantity
- Family: no matter if there is dysfunction
- Pets that give us unconditional love
- You are able to read!
- Making mistakes- it’s the best way to learn
- Laughter and forgiveness
- The Basics: food, water, clothing and shelter
- Holidays and weekends
- Freedom of speech and religion
- The right to vote
- Pain and tears so we can fully appreciate life’s happier times
- Age because older means usually wiser
- Armed forces protecting our freedoms
- Your favorite song, sports team or TV show
- Pay day!
If it is hard to remember to be grateful and thankful, try some of these tips:
- Journal down of all the things you are thankful for from the day
- Write “I’m grateful for you” letters or emails
- Say ‘thank you’ more
- Read the “What can you be thankful for today?” list again!