With the coronavirus keeping many quarantined in an effort to practice social distancing, you may be finding it challenging to occupy your time or keep the kids busy. Whether you are looking to fight off cabin fever, get inspired to improve your home, commit to a workout habit, learn a new skill, or keep the kids distracted so you can work, below are some ideas to help.
Take a Cooking Class
Ever wanted to learn how to make egg rolls or perfect your apple pie recipe? Now is the perfect opportunity! Maybe you are just new to cooking, and without the option of eating-out, you need to learn a few easy dishes. Check out some of these online options:
- Try Massimo Bottura’s Kitchen Quarantine
- Perfect for somebody new to cooking – The Kitchn’s Cooking School
- With tons of classes to choose from, you won’t have to worry about repeating recipes with America’s Test Kitchen Online Cooking School
- Learn some basic skills with Instructable’s Cooking Class
Keep the Kiddos Busy
- Build a cardboard box fort
- Have a treasure hunt – Pick a color and tell your kids to find objects in the house that are that color. Talk about each one.
- Try a virtual program! The Brooklyn Library is offering a variety of virtual programming including virtual story time at 11am every day.
- Take a walk and write down what you hear and see
- “Visit” the Cincinnati Zoo! They’re doing live streams at 3pm everyday with the animals, and calling themHome Safaris
- Make a hopscotch diagram outside with chalk
- Check out this comprehensive list ofkids sites offering free subscriptions right now
- Virtually visit the Mud Volcano, Mammoth Hot Springs, and so much more with a digital field trip to Yellowstone.
- Try a free craft – Kids Soup
- Plant seeds
- Bake together
- Practice math or vocabulary with flashcards
- Make a sticker book
- Try Yoga for kids
- Have an indoor picnic
- Make a Sensory Bin
- Make you own playdough
- Play a board game
It’s a great time to start doing some of those Spring Cleaning tasks you have been considering. Use these tips for simple spring cleaning to get you started! If you are feeling ambitious, you can tackle cleaning out your garage.
Try a New Hobby
A hobby is a great way to give you purpose and do something that inspires you. Try one of these ideas:
- Try a new workout! Many websites are offering free classes right now.
- Learn to play an instrument