Superheroes Ranked by Their Box Office Earnings
Who is the most popular superhero of all time, according to Hollywood? Crunching the numbers of the highest-grossing superhero movies, we added up what each character has brought in at the box office. We’ve calculated all these numbers for different important comic book franchises, from the Avengers to the Spirit. For each superhero, box office movie numbers have been included for every film they’ve been in, whether they were the title character, featured in an ensemble, or only made a quick cameo. Considering all of these superhero movie statistics, here are our official superhero rankings by how much each character has earned.
Click Below to see Full Size Infographic
<a href="https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-center/lifestyle/superheroes-ranked-by-their-box-office-earnings/?sf_traffic=unpaidreferral_infographic_awareness_x_x_x_x_x_titlemax"><img src="https://storage.googleapis.com/titlemax-media/c0b6b701-superheroes-ranked-by-box-office-earnings-6_75per_comp.png" alt="Superheroes Ranked by Their Box Office Earnings – TitleMax.com – Infographic" title="Superheroes Ranked by Their Box Office Earnings – TitleMax.com – Infographic"></a><br><a href="https://www.titlemax.com" alt="TitleMax.com" title="TitleMax.com">Created by TitleMax.com</a>
What Is the Highest-Grossing Superhero Movie?
The recent Avengers: Endgame (2019) is the highest-grossing superhero movie, both by the numbers adjusted for inflation and the unadjusted numbers. Worldwide, it made $2.797 billion at the box office. It’s the highest-earning superhero movie overall, not just one of the highest-grossing Marvel movies.
The Top 10 Highest-Grossing Superhero Movies of All Time Worldwide
- Avengers: Endgame (2019): $2,797,800,564
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018): $2,048,359,754
- The Avengers (2012): $1,518,812,988
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015): $1,402,805,868
- Black Panther (2018): $1,346,913,161
- Incredibles 2 (2018): $1,242,805,359
- Iron Man 3 (2013): $1,214,811,252
- Captain America: Civil War (2016): $1,153,296,293
- Aquaman (2018): $1,148,161,807
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019): $1,131,831,806
The 10 Top-Grossing Superhero Movies Adjusted for Inflation (Domestic)
These are the top-grossing comic book movies by domestic lifetime gross, adjusted for inflation according to Box Office Mojo:
- Avengers: Endgame (2019): $861,072,074
- The Avengers (2012): $694,877,913
- Black Panther (2018): $689,374,471
- The Dark Knight (2008): $673,410,063
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018): $654,553,388
- Spider-Man (2002): $638,344,041
- Incredibles 2 (2018): $599,234,269
- Batman (1989): $569,164,638
- Spider-Man 2 (2004): $543,734,383
- Superman (1978): $518,655,720
One might notice that many films on our top superhero movies list also happen to be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). This poses a certain problem, as these films, especially the Avengers series, tend to have an ensemble cast. If a character was in the ensemble cast for one of these films, we’ve included it in their list of relevant superhero movies. Box office scores for Marvel characters therefore tend to skew higher. Out of all of the characters who are not in the MCU, Batman, Wolverine, and Aquaman have fared the best.
What Superhero Has Made the Most Money at the Movies?
The most popular superhero in the world by box office rankings is Iron Man, who’s earned $12.48 billion at the box office with both his title series and his Avengers appearances. When looking at all superhero movies ranked by box office success, unadjusted by inflation, he’s currently the best superhero of all time. The Marvel movies’ box office success pushes him and others like Spider-Man and Captain America up to the top of the list.
Superheroes Ranked by Their Box Office Success
These numbers are based on worldwide lifetime unadjusted box office gross.
1. Iron Man: $12,488,780,772 (10 Films)
2. Spider-Man: $12,353,572,301 (11 Films)
3. Captain America: $11,531,026,981 (11 Films)
4. Thor: $9,715,866,058 (Seven Films)
5. Hulk: $9,130,469,016 (Seven Films)
6. Black Panther: $7,346,369,772 (Four Films)
7. Batman: $6,834,956,599 (18 Films)
8. Guardians of the Galaxy: $6,482,692,969 (Four Films)
9. Doctor Strange: $6,377,855,839 (Four Films)
10. Ant-Man: $5,093,082,961 (Four Films)
Which Superhero Has the Most Movies?
Out of our list of modern superheros, Batman takes the cake at 18 movies, 14 of which featured him as the title character.
If we were to stretch out the definitions a bit, though, the winner is actually an old pulp-fiction icon who’s been immortalized in more than 40 films and yet has been ignored in the modern Hollywood scene: Zorro! While he technically didn’t originate in comics, Diego de la Vega has been in the comics world, radio world, TV shows, 11 American feature films, and numerous European films.
You might also like...
Money & Finance
The key to maintaining financial health is not only in the planning and managing of one's personal assets but in understanding the basics and evolution of the economy. The economy affects every part of our lives, yet many school districts do not offer economics and graduating without it is possible. In our households, money is rarely discussed, except for the idea of running out of it. Let's all start taking a proactive approach to becoming well-rounded in economics and finance, in order to make better everyday decisions for ourselves, and generations to come.
Home and Family
Taking care of a home and family is a blessing that comes with many responsibilities including, and most importantly showing love, care and support. It can be overwhelming at times, but finding balance through efficient solutions can help. Discover with Title Pro, “Home and Family” series aims to help provide great tips for your home and family to make each day a little easier.