The 25 Largest Sports Contracts of All Time
Watching sports, rooting for teams, and celebrating successful players are wildly cherished pastimes around the world. As with other industries, that passion equals profit. In fact, the sports industry is now estimated to be worth more than $500 billion! Whether it’s football, soccer, basketball, or baseball, playing a sport for a major team and achieving stardom can be massively lucrative. Of course, the sport plays a significant factor in how much professional sports players are paid. The largest soccer contract of all time is worth $673,919,105 for Lionel Messi, and this is also the largest contract in sports history. Nearly $200 million less, the largest football contract of all time is worth $503,000,000 for Patrick Mahomes. In third place is the largest baseball contract of all time, which is a 12-year contract for Mike Trout paying $426,500,000. The largest basketball contract of all time does not even make the top ten, clocking in at $228,000,830 for Giannis Antetokounmpo of the Milwaukee Bucks.
Would you like to add this infographic to your page? Copy this embed code:
<a href="https://www.titlemax.com/lifestyle/the-25-largest-sports-contracts-of-all-time/?sf_traffic=unpaidreferral_infographic_awareness_x_x_x_x_x_titlemax"><br /> <img title="The 25 Largest Sports Contracts of All Time - TitleMax.com - Infographic" src="https://storage.googleapis.com/titlemax-media/245da78a-largest-sports-contracts-all-time-7_1500.png" alt="The 25 Largest Sports Contracts of All Time - TitleMax.com - Infographic" /></a><br /> <a title="TitleMax.com" href="https://www.titlemax.com">Created by TitleMax.com</a>
Here are the top ten largest sports contracts of all time:
- Lionel Messi: $673,919,105 for a four-year soccer contract with FC Barcelona
- Patrick Mahomes: $503,000,000 for a 12-year football contract with the Kansas City Chiefs
- Mike Trout: $426,500,000 for a 12-year baseball contract with the Los Angeles Angels
- Mookie Betts: $365,000,000 for a 12-year baseball contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Fernando Tatís Jr.: $340,000,000 for a 14-year baseball contract with the San Diego Padres
- Bryce Harper: $330,000,000 for a 13-year baseball contract with the Philadelphia Phillies
- Giancarlo Stanton: $325,000,000 for a 13-year baseball contract with the Miami Marlins
- Gerrit Cole: $324,000,000 for a nine-year baseball contract with the New York Yankees
- Manny Machado: $300,000,000 for a ten-year baseball contract with the San Diego Padres
- Alex Rodriguez: $275,000,000 for a ten-year baseball contract with the New York Yankees
Here are the top ten sports players who get paid the most per game:
- Lionel Messi (soccer): $33,181,818 per game
- Patrick Mahomes (football): $2,619,791 per game
- Dak Prescott (football): $2,500,000 per game
- Deshaun Watson (football): $2,437,500 per game
- Russell Wilson (football): $2,187,500 per game
- Jimmy Garoppolo (football): $1,718,750 per game
- Andrew Luck (football): $1,449,218 per game
- Trent Williams (football): $1,438,125 per game
- Matt Ryan (football): $1,282,051 per game
- Khalil Mack (football) $1,215,517 per game
While these sports contracts may seem astronomical, being a professional athlete is no walk in the park. Even just earning a spot among the stars requires immense cultivation of skill, determination, razor-sharp focus, and sacrifice. These players undergo grueling training and long hours in both the on and off seasons. Traveling also takes its toll, and players sacrifice quality time with family and friends to be at away games. So when you’re reading about the biggest sports contracts of all time, consider all of the blood, sweat, and tears that go into those numbers!
You might also like...
Home and Family
Taking care of a home and family is a blessing that comes with many responsibilities including, and most importantly showing love, care and support. It can be overwhelming at times, but finding balance through efficient solutions can help. Discover with Title Pro, “Home and Family” series aims to help provide great tips for your home and family to make each day a little easier.
The Ultimate Road Trip
Take time to get out of dodge. Can be a plane, train or automobile. This series focuses on good old road trips. Some are a couple miles down the road and some are across the country or across the ocean to the most fantastic scenery or landmarks you've ever seen. Included are how to prepare, fun on the road, and preparation along the way.