Which Businesses Have the Most Physical Locations Around the World?
Do you ever feel like some companies have locations everywhere you go? It’s because they do, in fact, have thousands of physical locations around the world! We compiled the data from Franchise Direct’s Top 100 Global Franchises list (based on 2019 data), and we found that 7-Eleven has more locations around the globe than any other company, with 62,105.
The only business featured in the top 40 that was founded in the 19th century is Groupe Casino, which was founded in 1898. This French food and grocery retailer began to really grow internationally in the 1990s and now has 14,000 locations nationwide. The newest business on the list, and the only one to be founded in the 2000s, is Verizon Wireless. Founded in 2000, Verizon Wireless has become America’s largest wireless telecommunications provider, with 6,839 locations worldwide.
Only five companies have more than 25,000 locations around the world. These are 7-Eleven (62,105 locations), Subway (44,610), McDonald’s (37,240), Starbucks (29,324), and Kumon (25,860).
Founded in 1927, 7-Eleven was actually an ice company originally, then started selling general items like eggs and milk. When the company ran into financial trouble in the 1980s, they were forced to transfer control to their Japanese affiliate.
These are the 40 businesses with the most physical locations around the world and the years when they were founded:
- 7-Eleven: 62,105 (1927)
- Subway: 44,610 (1965)
- McDonald’s: 37,240 (1955)
- Starbucks: 29,324 (1971)
- Kumon: 25,860 (1958)
- KFC: 20,825 (1939)
- Burger King: 16,770 (1956)
- Dollar General: 15,000 (1939)
- Dollar Tree: 15,000 (1953)
- Pizza Hut: 15,000 (1958)
- Domino’s: 14,855 (1963)
- Groupe Casino: 14,000 (1898)
- Dunkin’: 12,540 (1954)
- Carrefour: 12,000 (1958)
- Walmart: 11,695 (1952)
- H&R Block: 10,680 (1955)
- Hertz: 10,200 (1925)
- Lidl: 10,000 (1930)
- CVS: 9,800 (1963)
- Walgreens: 9,560 (1901)
- Jazzercise: 8,932 (1969)
- Aldi: 8,500 (1946)
- Wyndham Hotels and Resorts: 8,425 (1990)
- Circle K: 8,280 (1951)
- Century 21: 8,000 (1971)
- Baskin-Robbins: 7,985 (1946)
- RE/MAX: 7,930 (1973)
- Tesco: 6,966 (1919)
- Verizon Wireless: 6,839 (2000)
- Dairy Queen: 6,755 (1940)
- Taco Bell: 6,685 (1962)
- Wendy’s: 6,635 (1969)
- GNC: 6,590 (1935)
- Marriott International: 6,520 (1967)
- Choice Hotels: 6,400 (1963)
- AutoZone: 6,202 (1979)
- NAPA Auto Parts: 6,000 (1925)
- O’Reilly Auto Parts: 5,267 (1,957)
- Ace Hardware: 5,070 (1928)
- Papa John’s Pizza: 5,055 (1984)
Here are some fascinating facts that you may not have known about some of these businesses:
- McDonald’s originally started as a burger stand in California. Today, there are 37,240 locations worldwide.
- Burger King was originally named “Insta-Burger King” before rebranding. Their signature sandwich, the Whopper, was introduced in 1957 and has continued to be a staple at their locations to this day.
- Founded in 1958 by two brothers who were attending Wichita State University, Pizza Hut began franchising just one year later in 1959.
- In 2018, Domino’s topped the charts as the largest pizza seller worldwide. The chain was originally called “DomiNick’s,” and today, it has 14,855 locations.
- The name of CVS, which has 9,800 locations worldwide, is short for “Consumer Value Store.”
- In 1901, Walgreens started as a small food store in Chicago. Today, the company is the second-largest pharmacy chain in the United States, with 9,560 locations.
- With 7,985 locations worldwide, Baskin-Robbins has come up with more than 1,000 different ice cream flavors since the 1940s.
- Founded in 1940, Dairy Queen has 6,755 locations worldwide. The largest of them can be found in Bloomington, Illinois.
You might also like...
Home and Family
Taking care of a home and family is a blessing that comes with many responsibilities including, and most importantly showing love, care and support. It can be overwhelming at times, but finding balance through efficient solutions can help. Discover with TitleMax, “Home and Family” series aims to help provide great tips for your home and family to make each day a little easier.
The key to enjoying personal financial health is by making the most of the money you have. It always helps to save a little more, spend a little less, and manage what you have today. Get to know tips and creative ways to live better on less. Learn how to get resourceful by recycling, and even how to make extra cash on what you don’t need. Financial fluctuation may be inevitable from time to time. How you handle and plan for it can make all the difference. Let's start planning today for a more enjoyable tomorrow and more empowered future.