Which Businesses Have the Most Physical Locations Around the World?
Do you ever feel like some companies have locations everywhere you go? It’s because they do, in fact, have thousands of physical locations around the world! We compiled the data from Franchise Direct’s Top 100 Global Franchises list (based on 2019 data), and we found that 7-Eleven has more locations around the globe than any other company, with 62,105.
Would you like to add this infographic to your page? Copy this embed code:
<a href="https://www.titlemax.com/lifestyle/which-businesses-have-the-most-physical-locations-around-the-world/?sf_traffic=unpaidreferral_infographic_awareness_x_x_x_x_x_titlemax"><img src="https://storage.googleapis.com/titlemax-media/6231db36-businesses-physical-locations-4.png" alt="Which Businesses Have the Most Physical Locations Around the World? – TitleMax.com – Infographic" title="Which Businesses Have the Most Physical Locations Around the World? – TitleMax.com – Infographic"></a><br><a href="https://www.titlemax.com" alt="TitleMax.com" title="TitleMax.com">Created by TitleMax.com</a>
The only business featured in the top 40 that was founded in the 19th century is Groupe Casino, which was founded in 1898. This French food and grocery retailer began to really grow internationally in the 1990s and now has 14,000 locations nationwide. The newest business on the list, and the only one to be founded in the 2000s, is Verizon Wireless. Founded in 2000, Verizon Wireless has become America’s largest wireless telecommunications provider, with 6,839 locations worldwide.
Only five companies have more than 25,000 locations around the world. These are 7-Eleven (62,105 locations), Subway (44,610), McDonald’s (37,240), Starbucks (29,324), and Kumon (25,860).
Founded in 1927, 7-Eleven was actually an ice company originally, then started selling general items like eggs and milk. When the company ran into financial trouble in the 1980s, they were forced to transfer control to their Japanese affiliate.
These are the 40 businesses with the most physical locations around the world and the years when they were founded:
- 7-Eleven: 62,105 (1927)
- Subway: 44,610 (1965)
- McDonald’s: 37,240 (1955)
- Starbucks: 29,324 (1971)
- Kumon: 25,860 (1958)
- KFC: 20,825 (1939)
- Burger King: 16,770 (1956)
- Dollar General: 15,000 (1939)
- Dollar Tree: 15,000 (1953)
- Pizza Hut: 15,000 (1958)
- Domino’s: 14,855 (1963)
- Groupe Casino: 14,000 (1898)
- Dunkin’: 12,540 (1954)
- Carrefour: 12,000 (1958)
- Walmart: 11,695 (1952)
- H&R Block: 10,680 (1955)
- Hertz: 10,200 (1925)
- Lidl: 10,000 (1930)
- CVS: 9,800 (1963)
- Walgreens: 9,560 (1901)
- Jazzercise: 8,932 (1969)
- Aldi: 8,500 (1946)
- Wyndham Hotels and Resorts: 8,425 (1990)
- Circle K: 8,280 (1951)
- Century 21: 8,000 (1971)
- Baskin-Robbins: 7,985 (1946)
- RE/MAX: 7,930 (1973)
- Tesco: 6,966 (1919)
- Verizon Wireless: 6,839 (2000)
- Dairy Queen: 6,755 (1940)
- Taco Bell: 6,685 (1962)
- Wendy’s: 6,635 (1969)
- GNC: 6,590 (1935)
- Marriott International: 6,520 (1967)
- Choice Hotels: 6,400 (1963)
- AutoZone: 6,202 (1979)
- NAPA Auto Parts: 6,000 (1925)
- O’Reilly Auto Parts: 5,267 (1,957)
- Ace Hardware: 5,070 (1928)
- Papa John’s Pizza: 5,055 (1984)
Here are some fascinating facts that you may not have known about some of these businesses:
- McDonald’s originally started as a burger stand in California. Today, there are 37,240 locations worldwide.
- Burger King was originally named “Insta-Burger King” before rebranding. Their signature sandwich, the Whopper, was introduced in 1957 and has continued to be a staple at their locations to this day.
- Founded in 1958 by two brothers who were attending Wichita State University, Pizza Hut began franchising just one year later in 1959.
- In 2018, Domino’s topped the charts as the largest pizza seller worldwide. The chain was originally called “DomiNick’s,” and today, it has 14,855 locations.
- The name of CVS, which has 9,800 locations worldwide, is short for “Consumer Value Store.”
- In 1901, Walgreens started as a small food store in Chicago. Today, the company is the second-largest pharmacy chain in the United States, with 9,560 locations.
- With 7,985 locations worldwide, Baskin-Robbins has come up with more than 1,000 different ice cream flavors since the 1940s.
- Founded in 1940, Dairy Queen has 6,755 locations worldwide. The largest of them can be found in Bloomington, Illinois.
You might also like...
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Transportation has shaped our society across the broadest possible spectrum from both practical purposes, as a tool for survival, to aesthetics, as a personal expression and style and a millennium worth of history and science from the Orient Express offering transportation in 1883 to the Japanese Bullet train today that travels 200 MPH, vehicles are critical to our existance and at the same time sensationalized in film, as depicted in James Bond films and unusual video game vehicles. Few things we own have as much importance as the vehicles we own or dream to own one day .
Money & Finance
The key to maintaining financial health is not only in the planning and managing of one's personal assets but in understanding the basics and evolution of the economy. The economy affects every part of our lives, yet many school districts do not offer economics and graduating without it is possible. In our households, money is rarely discussed, except for the idea of running out of it. Let's all start taking a proactive approach to becoming well-rounded in economics and finance, in order to make better everyday decisions for ourselves, and generations to come.