Where in the US Has the Worst Electricity Bills?
The Alaska Village Electric Cooperative Inc. offers the highest electricity prices in the country, according to our data review.
We’ve taken a closer look at the cost of electricity in the U.S., including electricity prices by state and by county, examining the outlandish electricity bills that Americans are paying across the country. This study has found the most and least expensive electricity rates in the country.
Watt a Bill: Where in the U.S. Has the Worst Electricity Costs? Transcript
We took a look at the average annual bill and price (per kWh) of electricity across the country to find the places that pay the most.
|State||Average Price (Cents/kWh)||Average Monthly Bill|
|District of Columbia||12.94||$96.52|
The Top 20 Most Expensive Electricity Providers and the Counties They Serve
|Entity||State||Average Price (Cents/kWh)||Serviced Counties/Areas of Coverage|
|Alaska Village Electric Cooperative Inc.||AK||44.69||Yukon Koyukuk||AK|
|Fishers Island Utility Co.||NY||40.12||Suffolk||NY|
|City of Unalaska||AK||39.31||Aleutians East||AK|
|Kotzebue Electric Association||AK||37.88||Northwest Arctic||AK|
|Cordova Electric Cooperative||AK||37.35||Valdez Cordova||AK|
|Block Island Power Co.||RI||36.54||Washington||RI|
|Nome Joint Utility Systems||AK||35.54||Nome||AK|
|Kauai Island Utility Cooperative||HI||34.52||Kauai||HI|
|Hawaii Electric Light Co.||HI||34.20||Hawaii||HI|
|Maui Electric Co.||HI||30.89||Kalawao||HI|
|Alaska Power & Telephone Co.||AK||30.82||Haines||AK|
|Prince of Wales Ketchikan||AK|
|Skagway Hoonah Angoon||AK|
|Fox Islands Electric Cooperative Inc.||ME||30.42||Knox||ME|
|Bayfield Electric Cooperative||WI||29.41||Gogebic||MI|
|North Shore Towers Apartments Inc.||NY||28.64||Queens||NY|
|Hawaiian Electric Co. Inc.||HI||28.22||Honolulu||HI|
|Bear Valley Electric Service||CA||27.71||San Bernardino||CA|
|Copper Valley Electric Association||AK||26.35||Valdez Cordova||AK|
|Homer Electric Association||AK||26.12||Kenai Peninsula||AK|
|Consolidated Edison Company of New York Inc.||NY||25.34||Bronx||NY|
|Upper Peninsula Power Company||MI||24.33||Alger||MI|
The Top 20 Least Expensive Electricity Providers and the Counties They Serve
|Douglas County PUD||WA||2.99||Douglas||WA|
|Chelan County PUD||WA||3.17||Chelan||WA|
|Village of Rouses Point||NY||3.31||Clinton||NY|
|City of Ruston||LA||3.53||Lincoln||LA|
|City of Plattsburgh||NY||4.59||Clinton||NY|
|City of Salamanca||NY||4.83||Cattaraugus||NY|
|Village of Solvay||NY||5.14||Onondaga||NY|
|Village of Fairport||NY||5.19||Monroe||NY|
|Village of Arcade||NY||5.20||Cattaraugus||NY|
|Lake Placid Village||NY||5.22||Essex||NY|
|Grant County PUD||WA||5.41||Adams||WA|
|Modern Electric Water Co.||WA||6.12||Spokane||WA|
|Clatskanie People’s Utility District||OR||6.19||Clatsop||OR|
|City of McMinnville||OR||6.26||Yamhill||OR|
|Lower Valley Energy Inc.||ID||6.37||Bonneville||ID|
|Town of Massena||NY||6.46||St. Lawrence||NY|
|City of Sikeston||MO||6.48||New Madrid||MO|
|City of Springfield||OR||6.57||Lane||OR|
|Northern Wasco County PUD||OR||6.71||Wasco||OR|
2017 Average Monthly Bill – Residential
2017 Utility Bundled Retail Sales – Residential
What Is the Average Electric Bill in the U.S.?
The national average monthly electric bill in the U.S. is $111.67 per month. The average cost of electricity in the U.S. is 12.89 cents per kWh. If you’re moving and asking, “How much is the average electricity bill?” for your specific area, our overview of nationwide energy costs might help.
What State Has the Highest Electric Rates?
By scanning data on the cost of electricity by state, we can see that Hawaii is home to the most expensive electricity in the U.S., having both the largest U.S. bill and the highest electricity prices per kWh). Locals on average pay $149.33 monthly at a rate of 29.50 cents per kWh.
Top 10 States With the Highest Electricity Bills
- Hawaii: The average electric bill in Hawaii is $149.33 (average electricity price per kWh: 29.50 cents).
- Alabama: The average electric bill in Alabama is $142.55 (average electricity price per kWh: 12.55 cents).
- South Carolina: The average electric bill in South Carolina is $140.80 (average electricity price per kWh: 13.02 cents).
- Connecticut: The average electric bill in Connecticut is $139.97 (average electricity price per kWh: 20.29 cents).
- Maryland: The average electric bill in Maryland is $131.16 (average electricity price per kWh: 13.96 cents).
- Arizona: The average electric bill in Arizona is $128.40 (average electricity price per kWh: 12.44 cents).
- Alaska: The average electric bill in Alaska is $127.83 (average electricity price per kWh: 21.27 cents).
- Florida: The average electric bill in Florida is $126.44 (average electricity price per kWh: 11.61 cents).
- Georgia: The average electric bill in Georgia is $126.38 (average electricity price per kWh: 11.90 cents).
- Mississippi: The average electric bill in Mississippi is $125.38 (average electricity price per kWh: 11.08 cents).
What State Has the Cheapest Electric Rates?
The least-expensive electricity bills are in New Mexico, which has an average electric bill of only $79.16; at 12.88 cents, they have a fairly low cost of electricity per kWh. By state averages on electricity rates alone, though, Washington is the best, with an average of 9.66 cents per kWh.
Top 10 States With the Lowest Electricity Bills
- New Mexico: The average electric bill in New Mexico is $79.16 (average electricity price per kWh: 12.88 cents).
- Utah: The average electric bill in Utah is $81.65 (average electricity price per kWh: 10.95 cents).
- Colorado: The average electric bill in Colorado is $82.47 (average electricity price per kWh: 12.17 cents).
- Maine: The average electric bill in Maine is $87.21 (average electricity price per kWh: 15.97 cents).
- Illinois: The average electric bill in Illinois is $89.63 (average electricity price per kWh: 12.95 cents).
- Wisconsin: The average electric bill in Wisconsin is $94.67 (average electricity price per kWh: 14.35 cents).
- Montana: The average electric bill in Montana is $94.75 (average electricity price per kWh: 10.95 cents).
- Vermont: The average electric bill in Vermont is $95.02 (average electricity price per kWh: 17.68 cents).
- District of Columbia: The average electric bill in the District of Columbia is $96.52 (average electricity price per kWh: 12.94 cents).
- Wyoming: The average electric bill in Wyoming is $97.10 (average electricity price per kWh: 11.37 cents).
If we further break down rates from the country’s electricity providers by county, we can see how extreme some situations are in the United States, with the electricity cost per month in some places running well into the triple digits.
Where Is Electricity the Most Expensive in the U.S.?
In rural Alaska, specifically the following counties, they suffer with a rate of 44.69 cents per kWh via the Alaska Village Electric Cooperative: Yukon Koyukuk, Bethel, Kodiak Island, Nome, Northwest Arctic, Wade Hampton, and Yakutat.
Next up is the county served by Fishers Island Utility Co.: Suffolk, NY. Those in the Long Island region deal with prices of 40.12 cents per kWh.
The rest of the top five on our list of counties with the worst electric bill rates are all in Alaska: Aleutians East (39.31 cents per kWH), Northwest Arctic (37.88 cents per kWh), and Valdez Cordova (37.35 cents per kWh).
Where Is the Cheapest Electricity in the USA?
Douglas, Washington, is home to the cheapest electricity in the U.S., at a rate of 2.99 cents per kWh via its provider, the Douglas County PUD. The nearby counties of Chelan, King, Kittias, and Okanogan are also home to some of the lowest electricity rates in America, thanks to the Cheland County PUD.
Next on the list is Clinton County, New York. They might need a lot of energy for heat, but they’re paying a rate of only 3.31 cents per kWh. That makes New York home to both some of the most and least expensive rates in the country.
Take a look at our list of electricity rates by state to see if you’ve been over- or under-paying. If you’ve been struggling with high utility costs per month, use the tips in our discovery center to see where you can catch up.
You might also like...
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Transportation has shaped our society across the broadest possible spectrum from both practical purposes, as a tool for survival, to aesthetics, as a personal expression and style and a millennium worth of history and science from the Orient Express offering transportation in 1883 to the Japanese Bullet train today that travels 200 MPH, vehicles are critical to our existance and at the same time sensationalized in film, as depicted in James Bond films and unusual video game vehicles. Few things we own have as much importance as the vehicles we own or dream to own one day .
The Ultimate Road Trip
Take time to get out of dodge. Can be a plane, train or automobile. This series focuses on good old road trips. Some are a couple miles down the road and some are across the country or across the ocean to the most fantastic scenery or landmarks you've ever seen. Included are how to prepare, fun on the road, and preparation along the way.